Hi, I'm Derek!
More specifically I'm Derek Gourlay. I am a recent graduate of the University of British Columbia (May, 2011) where I completed my undergraduate degree: a Bachelors of Applied Science in Computer Engineering - Software Engineering Option with a Commerce Minor (quite the mouthful). In October, 2011 I began working as a Software Development Engineer at AbeBooks Inc. I am a passionate and innovative self-proclaimed computer nerd/geek with developing interests in Distributed & Cloud Computing.
Here are some interesting facts about me:
- I enjoy both high and low-level software development
- My middle name is Bachelor and is descendant from family heritage
- I dabble in embeded development projects and robotics as a hobby
- I was declared 2006 Time Magazine's Person of the Year
- I like to travel and quite enjoy culinary arts
- I've recently been trying to switch my keyboard to a Colemak layout
While I have owned my domain name for quite some time, this website itself is relatively new. I've split it into two main sections: a blog and my professional profile. I plan to populate the blog portion of my website with everything from projects I may be working upon to articles and research I find interesting. The professional profile portion of my website is to be dedicated to outlining who I am and my credentials to any prospective employers. So go explore my website!